|prev||Mozy Remote Backup||next|
Mozy Remote Backup
Mozy.com is a super cool program that lets you back up your computer over the internet.
To use the program: You simply download and run the install file. The file lets you select the files or directories that you want to back up. The Mozy software will encrypt and send a backup copy of your files to the secure Mozy data servers.
After the initial backup, you can set a schedule for automated back ups. Your program will then send new or modified files to the Mozy server per your schedule.
The remote backup process is better than backups to CDs or tapes. Think of it. A disaster like a fire, flood or robbery will destroy both your computer and any backups stored near your computer!
Backing up online is better for the environment than burning CDs or other disposable media. Here are notes from my Mozy experience:
- Use the advanced configuration tool to select files.
- After installing the program do one short backup with just a few files to get the feel of the program.
- Organize the files on your computer so that you back up only critical information. I ended up backing up a bunch of free ebooks that I had downloaded from the Internet. That was silly because I could always just download them again.
- After you backup your files, make sure that you can restore the files. To restore a file from Mozy, you log into your account, select the file to restore. Mozy will send the file to you via email.
- Provo Utah - Internet
- Salt Lake Sites - Internet
- Internet Rivers - Internet
- Internet Rivers - Backup
- Cedar City - Internet