<== Ancestry.com ==>
Headquartered in Provo, Ancestry.com is a leader in genealogical research. The company traces its history to 1990 when Paul B. Allen and Dan Taggart started Infobases, Inc which published books and databases on CDs and Floppy Disks using the Folio publishing technology. (Folio was established in 1987 by Curt Allen and his brother-in-law Brad Pelo)
In 1997, the company purchased Ancestry Magazine (started by John Sittner in 1983) and Bookcraft Publisher.
In December 1998, released its family based portal MyFamily.com and later changed its name to MyFamily, Inc.. MyFamily.com is a really fun site that allows registered users to connect with members of their family.
They opened Ancestry.com and FamilyHistory.com in 1999, and acquired the free family research portal RootsWeb in 2000.
In 2006, My Family, Inc. changed its name to The Generations Network. In 2009, the company changed its name to Ancestry.com and went public on NASDAQ with the symbol ACOM. The company became private again in 2012.
Web sites in the company's portfolio include:
- MyFamily.com lets people create a secure family web site. The sites let you share photos, videos and stories with other members of the family.
- Ancestry.com is a leading genealogy portal. The site lets you build family trees, expore historical databases and collaborate with one of the largest genealogy research community on the net.
- DNA Ancestry is a new product that combines genetic science with traditional genealogy research. With DNA testing you can learn about both your modern and ancient heritage.
- RootsWeb is a massive undertaking with detailed research on locations and surnames.
The Generations Network corporate office is at 360 West 4800 North in Provo, Utah. They have offices in Belleview Washington and London. The Ancestry.com corporate site includes corporate and career information.
- Provo Utah - Genealogy: Generations Network
- Salt Lake Sites - Genealogy: Ancestry.com
- Internet Rivers - Genealogy: Generations Network
Prev ~ ~ Index ~ ~ Next